So how do i make my own tempe?
1kg soy beans
1-1/2 tbsp of tempe starter/ragi
|#1 : soak the beans for 24hours
1. soak the soy beans for 24hours
2. whenever possible, rub the beans together. this is to get their skins/hulls off as many as possible.
3. filter the hulls out
|#2 : boil the beans for 30mins
1. fill in clean water, enough to cover the beans
2. boil the beans for 30 mins or so (some people add in 3tbsp of vinegar but i never tried it before)
|#3 : fry, & mix
1. drain water out
2. fry the beans (without any oil) in a wok. make sure you keep stirring as the beans burn easily
3. leave the beans to let it cool down at room temperature (leave it out for 15mins or so)
4. when you’re able to hold the beans (without getting your hand burnt!), add in the tempe starter
5. mix the beans thoroughly
|#4 : pack & seal
1. get your plastic bags and poke small holes on both sides of the plastic bags (to allow the mould to breathe)
2. scoop the beans into plastic bags (whatever size you prefer) and seal them (use sealer or do it using candle)
3. press the packed bags flat
|#5 : store the beans for 36hours
1. store them in a dark and dry (with good air ventilation) place. (i normally put them in the oven. it’s dark and the grill allows the air to circulate around the bags. but if you’re planning to bake within the 36 hours period, better find somewhere else to store them ;P
2. leave them for about 36-48 hours to ferment
tips: i usually take a peek in between to ensure that the fermentation takes place if you don’t see the mould/the fermentation doesn’t occur, don’t fret. and definitely, do not throw away the beans (like what i did the first time around!) . just take them out from the bags into a container, mix in a bit more starter, repack and store. this can be done at any stage.
give it a try! you don’t have to remember the detailed steps. just the main ones that i have bold, italicised and underlined.
it’s soooo easy making them. honestly.
i’ve already made several batches up to today.